Julie has dedicated her career to working in the not for profit sector, beginning in the early 1990’s as a youth worker in Essex where she also ran a drop in-service for unemployed young people. On moving to London Julie became a young people’s drug and alcohol worker, supporting young people in South East London working on some of the most deprived estates in Bermondsey and Southwark. She has held senior leadership positions for over twenty years, including:
- CEO, Girlguiding. (The leading charity for girls and young women in the UK. Empowering nearly half a million girls to be their best and face the challenges of growing up today through adventure, friendship and fun for over 100 years.)
- CEO, Family Planning Association. (A national sexual health charity supporting people of all ages to have positive and responsible sexual health).
- CEO, The Suzy Lamplugh Trust. (A national personal safety charity).
- Director of Corporate Services, ARP. (A London based drug and alcohol charity that supported people affected by drug and alcohol addiction).
- Director, ACCEPT. (A therapeutic community for people affected by problematic alcohol use).
- Assistant Director, Charterhouse in Southwark. (Supporting the children, families and communities of Southwark).
Julie was a Trustee and then Vice Chair of the housing and homelessness charity Shelter for six years and is Patron of Seham Village Appeal, which builds schools in India. She is currently a Trustee of NCVO (National Council for Voluntary Organisations).
Julie holds a Master’s in Business Administration, is a qualified counsellor and is a fellow of The Windsor Leadership Trust.